Friday, January 30, 2015

Favorites: lip products


The first time I ever wore a lip pencil I was seventeen, sitting in the break room of the local Nordstrom at the annual BP Fashion Board's Christmas party. All of us teenage girls were doing each others makeup and I just so happened to pick the NARS velvet matte lip pencil in Cruella, deciding it would be a sort of unusual risk for me to stray from my usual Revlon classic red lipstick. Then I remember the entire drive home contemplated why they didn't come up with it sooner. I mean it wasn't a lipstick or even a lip liner, it was this perfect little stick that did both in one go. I swore I would save up and buy a stick of my own. When you're seventeen, though, your mind is fleeting and by the time I had the money, my eyes were set on MAC's Ruby Woo lipstick.

I didn't actually own a stick of NARS lip pencil until November, the week of my birthday, when Taylor Swift was so kind as to send me THREE sticks, which would've sent my 17-year-old self into cardiac arrest. Naturally, I fell in love with the lip pencils. They're so smooth you know and they have a sweet scent to them. The only lip product I've ever loved so much was really that MAC red lipstick, but that's because red lips were my go-to for such a long while and it's a nice confidence booster. I mean I know a lot of my girlfriends don't wear red lipstick EVER because they're scared they won't be able to pull it off. Honestly, though, I think it's a rarity for someone to not look beautiful in cherry lips.

Anyway, I wanted to share with you some of my favorite lip products:

Links: NARS velvet matte lip pencil in Dragon Girl // MAC lipstick in Ruby Woo (not pictured)  // Revlon Colorburst matte balm in Standout // NARS velvet matte lip pencil in Dolce Vita // MAC Pro Longwear Lipglass in Whoops! // Revlon Colorburst lip butter in Berry Smoothie // NARS satin lip pencil in Luxembourg // MAC lip pencil in Cherry


The ones I use most often are: NARS Dolce Vita for a more natural look; Revlon's Berry Smoothie for a dewy pink lip; and for a classic red lip, MAC Ruby Woo will forever have my heart.

So, what lip products have you been wearing lately?

1 comment:

  1. I just bought Dragon Girl (d'uh Taylor d'uh) when I was on holiday overseas (it's way too expensive in NZ) and I like it a lot! My favourite thing about it is the whole ease of use feeling like a kid with a crayon. I don't find it has the staying/long lasting power of my other favourite MAC russian red with MAC cherry pencil liner, but the later takes longer to apply so I've been using the dragon girl a lot lately because I'll be ahhhh have to go to work now ahhhhh feels omg red lips now ahhhh...but if it's a special night out or i want the ritual of putting on a face, I'll do mac matte lipstick with pencil.

    ReplyDelete