Wednesday, March 4, 2015

What I'm Making: Bunny Sleep Mask

So, the last time I was on a red eye flight I remember feeling really annoyed because 1) I didn't have a sleep mask with me and 2) planes are surprisingly brightly lit in the middle of the night, so this time I knew that I'd have to make a sleep mask at some point during the course of the week. Actually, I had been meaning to make one for a while, just to have it ready, but I'm not exactly timely half the time. I could've easily just bought one, I know, but why would I do that when I could make a cuter one. ANYWAY, I made it reversible.


It's very serendipitous that I had everything already in my stash. I mean, if you know me you know I wear a lot of neutrals so I tend to sew things that are neutral as well, which gets boring sometimes but that's a story for a different day. the point is, I really didn't think I'd have black and white quilting cotton. Or the fuchsia elastic. Actually, I had no idea I ever bought elastic in that color so that was a nice surprise! And the fact that the black and white cotton was polka dot just made my day. As for the pink side, I actually had so many options. I considered using the pink cat fabric that Ester Lara designed, which I used for the lining of a coat I made last year. And then, I almost used a scrap of Liberty fabric I've had in my stash for ages, but then I settled on this bunny print by Moda instead, and there's a story for that.


I love that it happens to look girly and pretty on both sides. I still favor the bunny side, of course. That fabric stole my heart from the moment I saw it. It's so darn cute, don't you think? Little animals on fabric is just heart eyes emoji.


There was a day last summer when my friend Angie and I went out to get burgers for lunch, and then we didn't know what to do so we ended up traipsing through town. Like seriously, we went to pet kittens, we ate snow cones at the parking lot in front of a furniture store, and we just sat there talking for ages. And then I had the idea of heading to the local fabric store, and you should know, I don't usually shop for fabric with anyone else. It's sort of my little introvert retreat. Regardless, we went. And I saw the bunny fabric and she asked me what I would make with it, to which I responded with a simple "I didn't know, but I want it," and somehow, I don't remember exactly they way it went,  it all resulted in the conclusion that I would buy a half yard and I'd most likely never use it but I was going to buy it anyway and if in a year or five, I ended up making something with it, I would have to text her a picture of the thing. Well, I guess it didn't take long. It hasn't even been a year yet.


Oh and it took a grand total of 30 minutes to sew, so if you want a quick project this one's a fun one!

Hope you've been having a lovely day!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!